Monday, March 31, 2008

Bedroom Decorating

One Saturday morning a few weeks ago I was lying in bed with the flu. I had been in bed for 24 hours and was slowly starting to feel better. As I was looking around the room I decided that it was time to do some bedroom decorating. We had done a major change in the bedroom two years ago. The change had involved stripping wallpaper, painting paneling and changing the carpet. The project had been so time consuming that we were pleased to get everything back in the room and be done.

Now that time has passed I am realizing that we still needed to do some bedroom decorating to complete the project. The walls and flooring were an excellent start, but the room still needed some added details to give it that finished look. There is a difference in bedroom decorating and basic painting, we needed to decorate.

When I was feeling better I told my husband that we needed to do some bedroom decorating. He reminded me that we had just done a major revamping. I explained that I was not talking about painting again, but rather trying to create a feel to the room. He was concerned that I was going to go with a theme room. He remembered the themed bedroom decorating I had done for the children when they were younger. I think he had visions of having nursery rhythms stenciled on the wall. He did state that he does not like stenciling. I assured him that I was not going to go with any themes and that I would not be stenciling.

We have recently added a computer and desk to the bedroom area so we had rearranged some furniture to accommodate this. The addition of the home office space to the room has changed the look of the room. I decided that I needed to add to this area of the room to make it more efficient to use and to tie it into the bedroom decorating. I started at an office supply store to see what was available for shelving and other organizational supplies. I did not feel that any of the products would compliment the bedroom decorating so I went to a furniture store. At the furniture store I found a desk top organizer that was very attractive and would also be helpful. I also found a decorative shelve to place above the desk to arrange frames with photographs. This shelf gave the business corner a warmer appearance. I also purchased decorative pillows that could be placed on the desk chair when it was not in use. The pillows complimented the ones on the bed. By adding these simple items the office area looked like it belonged with the rest of the room.